Hello and Welcome

Hunting in the deep dark woods and further creative ventures

3.15.2013

Medical Corset


I FOUND ONE!!

Okay, exciting day at Value Village. Greatest find of my life (very possibly. I've found a lot of great things... but this is something that I've been wanting for ages). This is a detail of one of the greatest things ever... A medical corset! They were used for posture and back problems, and I've always loved the asylum-esque look of them. The fan lacing, the snaps, the elastic, the clinical whiteness.... Glory be to the medical aesthetic and strange beauty of these things. I've come so close to buying one off of Etsy. They pop up every now and then, but they vary from $30 to $190. Affordable? Sometimes yes... but these corsets seldom come in small size. The smaller sizes are usually the most expensive, and are often not technically medical corsets. They have the fan lacing, but it's not quite the same. They are also often not white, which is the part I like. I'm not against the idea of bringing it in and making it smaller (especially since I've started making my own corsets and know how they should fit). But... I've never been a fan of the idea of altering something if it costs me a lot of money. However... When I find that something for $8 at a thrift store... All hands on board! I will alter that puppy! That's actually how I got my first few corsets. They were plastic-boned and too big. I altered them, and that was at a time when I wasn't good at sewing. I think that I should be able to do this! Here's what it looks like on, though...

 
It needs to be much, much, smaller... but I can't wait to do an asylum-themed photo shoot at some point. Gah it's MINE and it was such a steal! Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment