Hello and Welcome

Hunting in the deep dark woods and further creative ventures

9.18.2012

Back on Track (An Attempt)

It has been about a week since I last posted anything, and in the world of blogging, that seems to be a long time. I keep having things to write about and post and overall excitement, but I can't seem to find the time to sit down and write and post a couple of photos. Monstrosity!

Alas, here I am now, and it's nice to be sitting and taking a break from my bustling lifestyle. Being back in school while also preparing for a few things is proving to be quite exhausting. That is fine, and I have no quarrel, but it's difficult to find time for one's self... Though I am an artist and I'd be making stuff any ways... It's a bit different. Any ways...

On with the show!


First of all, this gem. A few days ago, I was gallivanting with two of my very coolest friends, and in the spirit of being hipsters, we decided to go to an estate sale. Some day, I'm fairly certain that my house will look like the stereotypically "old person's" house, complete with taxidermy and decorative plates. Now, this won't be when I'm a sexagenarian or anything. It will probably be when I'm in my early thirties. There was a great collection of decorative plates depicting wild cats of various shapes and sizes (oh, I adore leopards), and a few things like a taxidermy pheasant and women's jumpsuits and the like. The find that delighted me was this weird thing. It was very likely a gag gift (for the person who has everything), and it's just so bizarre. Pictured above is a perfumed mink belly button warmer. It is for the "well-dressed person". It's so funny and odd. I can see how it's a gag gift, but at the same time, I'm curious as to who on earth would think of such a thing. Is there a place somewhere that utilizes this as a genuine source of warmth? Would a person feel better if their belly button were warmed with a perfumed and decorated piece of mink?

That should give you something to think about.

In other news... The second annual horron convention of Calgary is coming up this weekend. I've had tickets for a couple of months, and finally, yesterday, I came up with an idea for a costume. The idea popped into my head while sitting in class. I was doodling in my sketchbook while watching a 1980s documentary about science (it was so high tech!). This is what I came up with...


The idea that came to mind was a weir doll-like character, with scars in the shape of a grotesque smile, stitched up the side of the face. Above are rough sketches that I came up with. Initially, I couldn't figure out a couple of details. What colour of eyes? What colour of hair? I figured out the perfect dress, which should be fairly easy to make (with the help of a vintage pattern, I think), and slowly everything else fell into place. I found some 'zombie' contact lenses, that white out all of your eye except for the black pupil. I will need to get a black wig, hopefully a longer one with bangs. I'm really excited for this, but my personal deadline has never been more strict. What day is the horror convention? This Saturday, the 22nd. I figure that if I can make a full steampunk outfit in less than two weeks, a simple dress and petticoat combination should be easy. That and a quick trip to Value Village.


The other fun part to the costume is the make up. My special effects make up enthusiast friend showed me a couple of possible techniques, and tested out one on me. He thinks that it will work better to sculpt with wax or use liquid latex, with thicker stitches. I have a good idea of how it will work. The attempt on my face didn't work terribly well. The photo above was taken shortly after he was done, and the spirit gum holding my face together had already started to separate. By the time I had put my camera away, the redness thing you can see was completely separated. When we took the stitched out, it looked like I had an extremely grotesque sore. I'm excited to see how this costume works. And bonus, Hallowe'en is coming up soon, so I will have further opportunities to make use of it, or at least aspects.

Well, that is about all of the updating I have to offer right now. Hopefully I will have more opportunities to sit and post in this next week. I will be cat-sitting, which means that I will have plenty of time at home, and therefore plenty of time to do whatever it is I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment