Hello and Welcome

Hunting in the deep dark woods and further creative ventures

8.13.2012

Balsamic Cream Sauce... The Impromptu Edition

Before I begin, let me just say that I hate cooking with onions, but this is one of my favourite pasta sauce recipes ever. It's extremely flavourful and very easy.

Yum? Yes, YUM!

...As long as you have all of the ingredients.

Let me introduce to you, the recipe for balsamic cream sauce (for pasta), with some new twists (courtesy of my forgetting to confirm that I had enough Parmesan cheese... which I didn't).

The recipe is thus.

  2 tablespoons butter (or) olive oil    [**I prefer butter]
  1/4 onion, minced
  2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
  1 cup heavy cream     [**I used whipping cream. The kind that comes in a carton and you have to whip yourself]
  1/2 grated Parmesan cheese

Directions: Heat butter or olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until it has caramelized to a dark, golden, brown (about 15 minutes). Stir in the balsamic vinegar, and cook for 1 minute before stirring in the chicken bouillon and cream. Bring to a simmer, and then remove from heat. Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted. Stir sauce into cooked pasta until pasta is covered entirely.

This recipe works quite well with penne, and pairs nicely with a Waldorf salad.

Now, the fun part. As anyone who has been keeping score for a few months might know, I am the queen of impromptu baking and cooking. Meaning, I regularly encounter the time when I haven't read the recipe correctly, or I am missing the proper utensils, or I am missing one or two ingredients. Today, I will be experimenting with this recipe, to make up for lack of Parmesan. I am going to try mixing in other cheeses that I have on hand, including Provolone, Asiago, and Swiss. I know it's kind of blasphemy to mix Swiss with the other two cheeses, but I'm desperate.

Note: Hold onto your hats. This is going to get KER-A-ZEE.

Secondary Note: Hot balsamic vinegar is as painful as hot oil. Don't let the balsamic vinegar splash little specks on you.

Result: Delicious. A fine meal, and highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment