Hello and Welcome

Hunting in the deep dark woods and further creative ventures

10.12.2012

Make Art Everyday


The title of this is a quote from one of my friends. Or rather, something she has tattooed on her arm. 'Make art everyday'. It's simple, and it's brilliant, and today it has been stuck in my head. I've been busy, working away on artwork pieces, watching Stephen King movies, and thinking about how much I love making art. Making things makes life interesting. It's kind of a time when you sink into oblivion, where you can think and create and be in your own world. It's difficult for me to be upset or angry or anything but peaceful and happy. I do tend to be a bit hard on myself with my quality of work, and something I do become bitter... But the great thing is, I'm able to stop one thing, and move to another. And, of course, there's always time for tea.

Today I'm back to working on hair things and the like. For one of my classes, I'm working on a dress inspired by this photograph:


I don't really know that much about this woman, and I can't find anything about her. However, like most sideshow performers and people who would be called "freaks", I think she's beautiful, and I fell in love with her. I'm so curious about her, and I have a deep respect for her. The woman in the photograph is referred to as 'The Lady With The Mane', and from what I understand, that growth of hair is 'Naevus Pilosus', which is abnormal growth on a mole or similar issue. This photo is from 1896, and so much of it captures my imagination, especially since I know nothing about her. Other than the assumed fact that she let the hair grow into the long dark brown veil cascading down her back.

From this photo, I was inspired. The dress isn't quite finished yet, but this is a detail...


I'm not a hundred percent sure that it's what I had in mind, and it kind of reminds me of The Ring. I like it, but it's not quite what I originally pictured. We shall see. I'm going to make a necklace to go with it. We'll see where it goes from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment