Hello and Welcome

Hunting in the deep dark woods and further creative ventures

4.20.2012

Victorian Anatomy

For the final project in my anatomy drawing class, we were able to take creative liberties in how we utilized anatomy. I took a relatively traditional route, in depicting historical pieces that would have been found in some Victorian-era collections. The majority of the pieces were centred around the history of-, views on-, and protection against the Evil Eye. I included a couple pieces that would have been common to find in a mid-to-late 19th century house or home. In some pieces there is a bit of creative license concerning the historic content, but everything was heavily researched, and I didn't tweak anything unless it was heavily researched before hand.

Ideally, the space would be a bit different, or would be a full room, but for the situation of a classroom, it worked out okay. I utilized upholstery and bargain bin fabric to create somewhat of a "cut out" from the past. I'm quite fond of the fabric that I used for the "wallpaper". I'm probably going to make a dress or something out of the fabric, now that it's no longer being used for anything.

All in all, a delightful project. Not sure what to do with all of the individual pieces. I just wish that my colleagues/classmates had asked more questions about it during the critique. There had been a lot of extensive research put into everything. Right down to learning the Middle Latin alphabet, and some Ogham. Along with all of the things that I learned about the Evil Eye. And creating a small hair piece.

The mummified hand also smells like spices and herbs. Somewhat like a true mummy hand. Fun fact.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent. Love to see a close up each piece with research notes.

    ReplyDelete