Hello and Welcome

Hunting in the deep dark woods and further creative ventures

5.03.2012

Steampowered

Due to the fact I now have a bit more time on my hands, I have made it my goal to make this spring and summer the Season of steampunk (and later, smokepunk). Thus far, I have started figuring out my character, listening to more steampunk themed music, reading 19th century literature, and making my own steampunk-themed gear (with my own twist on things, of course).


Along with doing a photo shoot with myself (and three dogs), I worked on a pair of goggles. They're a work in progress, but I'm taking lots and lots of time with them.


So far, I've done the eye cups and the nose piece. The eye pieces are made of vintage sheepskin, deer hide, and cut brass (thank you, home improvement stores). I'm going to be adding a lot more to these, and making them relatively extravagant (without being over the top). Hopefully, I'll be able to get some glass or plexiglass lenses cut for them. I'd prefer to have glass, but glass is heavier and more likely to break. We'll see.

For the record, this is the second pair of goggles I've made (or am making... since they're not finished yet). The first pair I made are the ones I'm wearing in the photo above. I think I made them in the span of an afternoon (which is why I prefer that people not take too close of a look), which resulted in minor burns.

No comments:

Post a Comment